Within the framework of the Green Deal, the European Commission launched in May 2020 the EU Farm to Fork Strategy that aims to ensure a sustainable food value chain. Sustainable agriculture and sustainable fishery within Protected Areas can be a model to provide safe, nutritious and high quality products. Protected Areas can play an important role to implement the EU Farm to Fork Strategy.
The Farm to Fork Strategy aims to accelerate our transition to a sustainable food system that should:
- have a neutral or positive environmental impact
- help to mitigate climate change and adapt to its impacts
- reverse the loss of biodiversity
- ensure food security, nutrition and public health, making sure that everyone has access to sufficient, safe, nutritious, sustainable food
- preserve affordability of food while generating fairer economic returns, fostering competitiveness of the EU supply sector and promoting fair trade